About Us
ICS
AIPMA
IIC
ICS(WUPC)

Quick Navigation
Home
About Us
Clusters in Chapter
Chairman Message
Photographs
Feedback
Enquiry
 
History of Indian Ceramic Society
In the year 1921, Late Sardar Krishan Singh of Katni conceived the idea of a society of the Indian ceramists. Accordingly, he circulated a letter to some of his friends, engaged in clay industries inviting their suggestions in connection with the formation of an 'Indian Ceramic Society'. Unfortunately, sufficient response was not received at that time. In the days that followed the same idea occurred to many persons, one of whom was Mr. T. W. Talwalkar. He was very much impressed with the activities of the American Ceramic Society. He felt the need for a similar kind of Society in the country. After his return to India at the end of 1927, he started contacting the senior people engaged in ceramics as industrialists and technologists at Jalegaon (Paise Fund Glass Works) and Ogalewadi (Ogale Glass Works) and found an encouraging response. He came to know that the glass technologists had already started a Society with Mr. I. D. Vershnei as President and Mr. S. P. Ogale as Secretary. He met Sardar Krishan Singh of Katni, Sardar Dogar Singh, Prof. Mulkh Raj of Department of Ceramics of Banaras Hindu University and discussed the idea of forming a larger Society comprising the pottery, glass, enamel, ceramics, refractories and allied disciplines in the country on the lines of the American Ceramic Socity. Thus the idea began to take shape. Mr. Chandorkar of Talegaon encouraged the efforts. A provisional committee to organise the foundation of the Society was formed with Sardar Krishan Singh as acting Chairman, Mr. T. W. Talwalkar as Secretary and Prof. Mulkh Raj as Joint Secretary. Mr. Talwalkar initiated activities by sending personal letters to the people in the field of ceramics and personally met Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, Vice-Chanceilor of Banaras Hindu University soliciting his support for the formation of the Society as also to hold the inaugural meeting at Banaras. Panditji very kindly agreed and the date of the meeting was fixed with his generous consent. All India Glass Manufacturers Association also agreed to hold their meeting at the same time. Accordingly the intimation circular was sent to the dignitaries. But unfortunately due to certain incidents, the entire effort went into rough weather. However, the boat managed to navigate through the roughs and finally reached its destination safe and sound with the help of Dr. N. N. Godbole, Pro-Vice-Chancellor of Banaras Hindu University, who was mostly responsible for all sorts of arragements of the inaugural meeting. At last on April 15, 1928 the inaugural meeting was held in the Library Hall of the Chemistry Building of Banaras Hindu University, and continued upto 17th April. All India Glass Manufacturers Association also met concurrently. Many of the notable manufacturers and learned Professors as well as some of the general public attended the meeting. Lala Iswardas Vershnei, Pandit Vishnu Dutta, Mr. Sharma, Mr. S. P. Ogale, Mr. D. P. Ogale, Mr. Chandorkar, Sardar Krishan Singh, Mr. T. W. Talwalkar were some of the celebrities present in the meeting. Inspite of a short notice, twenty-six people from all parts of the country attended the meeting for the formation of the Society. Eleven people expressed their sympathy in writing and eleven more gave their consent verbally. Thus forty-eight names were enrolled to start with. The proceedings opened with an address by Pandit Malaviya as inaugurator of the meeting and Sardar Krishan Singh, Provisional Chairman, as President. Panditji, quoting copiously from the report of the Industrial Commission of which he was a member, stressed the need for developing the Ceramic Industry in the Country. Sardar Krishan Singh traced the history of the Indian potters and highlighted their superlative skill. He emphasized on the need for organisation of the industry and research laboratories and in conclusion put forward some concrete suggestions as to what the Society can and should do. Mr. Talwalkar, Provisional Secretary, then proposed to the delegates to form the Indian Ceramic Society. Lala Iswardas Vershnei heartily welcomed the idea. Mr. S. P. Ogale, Prof. Rane, Mr. Kelkar and Mr. Rama Charan all gave their hearty consent and promised all possible help. The proposition was unanimously accepted and the Indian Ceramic Society was formally founded. Following were the Chartered Members who attended the inaugural meeting and formed the Society:
Sardar Krishan Singh, Mr. I. D. Vershnei, Mr. S. Dale, Mr. B. N. Tandon, Mr. R. Charana, Pandit Vishnu Dutta, Mr. G. D. Kelkar, Mr. A. N. Kaul, Mr. P. D. Tripati, Prof. Mulkh Raj, Dr. N. N. Godbole, Mr. B. N. Kha. Mr. S. P. Ogale, Mr. B. D. Versbnei, Mr. K. P. Bhargawa, Raja Jairam Jogmal, Mr. D. P. Ogale, Prof. M. B. Rane, Prof. K. C. Trigunayat, Sardar Dogar Singh, Mr. D. C. Jain, Mr. R. D. Chandorkar, Mr. T. W. Talwalkar, Mr. G. T. Manasharmani, Mr. H. N. Roy.
Six technical papers dealing with various aspects of ceramic industry were presented during the technical session of the meeting by Prof. Gandhi, Mr. Vershnei, Mr. Marathi, Mr. Joshi, Prof. Mulkh Raj and Mr. Chandorkar. Some important decisions taken in the meeting were:
  1. To form a standing committee of the Society to advise the Universities as to the requirements of the Industry,
  2. To set-up a Central Library and a Central Museum, and
  3. To start a Journal.

It was agreed by the Glass Manufacturers that their Society would continue to look after the business matters and technical aspects would be taken care of by the Indian Ceramic Society. The first Working Committee was elected in the meeting of 15th April, 1928 with the following members:
  • President Mr. S. Deb ,Patna (Calcutta)
  • Vice- President Mr. 1. D. Vershnei ,Bahjoi Katni B.H.U
    Sardar Krishan Singh Prof. M. B. Rane
  • Secretary Mr. T. W. Talwalkar Poona
  • Treasurer Mr. R. D. Chandorkar Talegaon

The objects of the Society, framed at the meeting, were: "To promote friendship and co-operation between all those who are engaged in the manufacture of ceramic goods or in teaching ceramics or in any way connected with ceramics and interested in the advance of the knowledge, art and technology connected therewith. Through such co-operation the Society aims at improving the condition of the Ceramic Industries of India and also to add to the general fund of knowledge of ceramics of the world". These were subsequently revised as follows:
  1. To hold annual general meetings and sectional meetings at the convenience of the members of any section.
  2. To establish co-operation through sub-committees, between the Industry and The Educational institution and Research Laboratories throughout the country. To publish a Journal of the Society.
  3. To build up a Central Library and a Museum.
  4. To generate technical literature in vernacular.
  5. To organise and educate the Potters who are working in Clay Industries.

The first meeting of the Working Committee was held on August 11, 1928 at the Ranade Memorial Industrial and Economic Institute, Poona. The first Chapter of Poona, was also organised on that occasion by the members of the Society at Poona, with Mr. G. D. Kelkar as President and its first meeting was also held on the same day. Composition of the Working Committee (presently Council), decided in the meeting was as follows:
  • President 1
  • Secretary 1
  • Vice- President 3
  • Treasurer 1 to be elected
  • Members 9 by all members

Two sub-committees for publication and compilation of a Directory of the indigenous raw-materials were also formed with the following members:
Publication sub-committee
  • Mr. R. D. Chandorkar Chairman
  • Mr. S. P. Ogale Member
  • Mr. G. D. Kelkar -do¬
  • Pandit Vishnu Dutta Member
  • Mr. T. Talwalkar -do- (Editor)

Directory sub-committee
  • Sardar Krishan Singh Chairman
  • Mr. I. D. Vershnei Member
  • Mr. S. P. Ogale -do-
  • Mr. R. D. Chandorkar -do-

While the 'journal', organ of the Indian Ceramic Society, was first published in September, 1928, edited by Mr. T. W. Talwalkar, some members and readers remarked,
  • "Will this Journal melt more glass"
  • "Will the Society and its activities help the manufacturers in any way in their business". Present members and readers of the 'Transaction' who are acquainted with the activities of the Society may ponder over these remarks. The 'Journal' published a Directory of Ceramic Schools and Research Laboratories in India in its November 1928 issue.

The 2nd Annual Meeting was held at Ogalwadi (Dist. Satara) on 2nd April, 1929 where only twelve members attended the meeting. Mis. Ogale Brothers Limited, were the host. Mr. S. Deb presided over the Meeting. All India Glass Manufacturers Association held their meeting on March 31 and April 1. The members were very surprised to see a stimulating performance given by the sons of Mr. S. P. Ogale in the art of glass blowing.
The Society took its national character as it attracted members from as far apart as Lahore, Trivandrum, Calcutta, Vikneer etc. The membership reached the figure of fifty-seven. The provisional constitution of the Society was adopted as the final constitution with a few amendments. The financial year was fixed from 1st January to December 31. Mr. S. Deb was re-elected as President for the next term and Mr. T. W. Talwalkar as Secretary. The third meeting was also held at Ogalwadi with very poor attendance in the year J 931. Mr. I. D. Vershnei was elected as President. Fourth Annual Meeting was held at Jamshedpur in the 1932 with a very poor attendance.
Then started a troubled time for the Society, despite the best efforts of Mr. Talwalkar to infuse life into it. Publication of the Journal was discontinued. Subscription was over-due from many members and the funds dwindled. At last there came an unhappy state when the President, Mr. I. D. Vershnei and the Secretary Mr. Talwalkar, who were the life members of the Society remained its only constituents.
During the troubled period of the Society, fortunately the Department of Ceramic Technology was instituted in the Banaras Hindu University. This department flourished and did pioneering work along with its sister department of glass technology. As the interest in the Society revived, the idea arose in the minds of the staff of Banaras Hindu University and Prof. H. N. Roy, who on his coming back from England joined the Banaras Hindu University as Professor, to start a New Society entitled "B.H.U.-Indian Ceramic Society". While he was in England he represented the Society as a delegate along with Mr. A. K. Bose at the bi-centenary ceremony of Josiah Wedgwood, the famous ceramic scientist, held at Stoke-on- Trent, on 1st May, 1930.
The Indian Science Congress had a meeting at Banaras in January, 1941 where Dr. H. K. Mitra and Mr. T. W. Talwalkar attended as delegates. A small group meeting was held there under the Presidentship of Dr. H. K. Mitra to review the whole situation regarding the functioning of the Society. Dr. N. N. Godbole in that meeting undertook to get Vice-Chancellor's necessary written sanction to shift the Society's Office there which though was the original idea but did not materialise for a long time.
Prof. H. N. Roy agreed to take over the work of the Society for its revitalisation, The Head Quarter was transferred from Mr. Talwalkar's Residence at Jamshedpur to the Banaras Hindu University, in March 1941 with new office bearers elected in the fifth annual meeting held at Sodepur Glass Works, Calcutta, during 28th February and lst March 1941 which was the most successful meeting till then and was attended by ninety-four members from all parts of the country. Mr. B. K. Shaw, Prop. of Sodepur Glass Works, Calcutta played the host and the meeting was presided over by Mr. 1. D. Vershnei. Mr. M. M. Sur of Sur Enamel & Stamping Works Ltd., Calcutta was elected for the next term of the Society as the New President
The Office of the Society began functioning from March 1941 at Banaras Hindu University as decided in the fifth meeting and with a clean slate as far as the funds were concerned. But funds were needed for the activities of the Society and the Society has to thank the President, Mr. M. M. Sur who at this critical situation paid a sum of Rs, 150/- and became life member of the Society and Rs, 101/- was received from an unnamed person through Mr. M.M. Sur as donation. With this amount of Rs. 251(¬and the collection of subscription from the enrolment of new members (Life-3, Ordinary-18, Associate-lO and Corporate-I). The Society started functioning again and continued till this day with growing glory without any interruption.
If much of the credit for the Society's organisation and its inception goes to Mr. T. W. Talwalkar, such credit should also go to Prof. H. N. Roy for its revitalisation and to give it a new life. He and Mr. M. M. Sur invited all the persons who were engaged in ceramics industry in India to give their best towards the advancement of the Society. They felt that to succeed as a body of national importance, their best efforts should be directed to bring out the publications and organise the activities of the Society in such a way so as to attain the standard of such Societies abroad. Their dream came true. The Society's publication, 'Transaction' was recognised to be of international standard.
Two Sections of the Society namely Banaras Section, Mysore State Section, Bangalore started functioning during the period 1941-42. The following notable persons were the life members on the Roster of 1942 :
  • Mr. M. M. Sur
  • Mr. T. W. Talwalkar
  • Mr. 1. D. Vershnei
  • Mr. S. J. Savant
  • Rai Bahadur Jogmal Raja
  • Mr. W. H. Bates


Some other important decisions were taken by the Society after its revitalisation, which included setting-up of the Society's Library and Museum. For the purpose, a sub-committee with Prof. Y. P. Vershnei as Chairman and Mr. M. L. Misra as Secretary and Librarian was formed in the Working Committee meeting of 14th March, 1942. The value of a good Library was well realised by all and subsequently it was established in 1942 in the Head Quarter of the Society at Banaras Hindu University. Mr. M. M. Sur was not only the originator of this noble idea but he was the first donor to carry out the task. In persuance of a resolution moved by Mr. Talwalkar in the 7th General Body Meeting of the Society in 1943 at Banaras, a move was taken by the Society to change the decision of the Government to set up Glass Research Institute-into a Silicate Research Institute including all the branches of pottery, enamel, cement, refractories and glass together and not only on glass. They drew the attention of the Society to assert itself and see that the Society's views are considered by the Board of Scientific and Industrial Research of the Government by approving representation of the Society in the Board. Dr. H. K. Mitra alongwith Mr. T. W. Talwalkar took very keen interest and spared a good deal of their valuable time and prepared a comprehensive scheme for the Ceramic Research Institute. They felt that the location of such Institute should be at Calcutta in view of its proximity to the industries and universities. The report was finally considered by the Working Committee at Nagpur in January, 1945 and the scheme of the Central Silicate Research Institute was accordingly submitted to the Director, Board of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi. Thereafter the Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute at Calcutta was established in 1950 by Govt. of India. Two new Associations were founded in the year 1946, one was All India Pottery Manufacturers Association with Mr. M. G. Bhagat as President, Mr. P. B. Ganpule as Vice-President and Mr. S. Deb (Jr) as Secretary and Treasurer and the other was All India Iron Enamelled Ware Manufacturers Association with Major D. N. Bhattacharjee, as President. Mr. M. M. Sur, who first realised the necessity of training suitable persons in U.S.A. I U.K. in Ceramics, came forward with a generous donation of Rs. 10,000/- for a foreign scholarship to be awarded for the such training and Mr. M. L. Misra was selected for the same in 1946. Mr. Ganpule made a substantial donation of Rs. 10,000/- was the purpose of purchasing books and journals for the Library of the Society. The Society was registered on June 11, 1946. The Library and Museum Committee had reconstituted with Prof. H. N. Bose as President and Prof. P. Sen as Secretary. A donation of Rs. 10,000/- was received in 1947 from Banaras Hindu University for providing a building at Head Quarter in response to Society's appeal. An agreement between Banaras Hindu University and Indian Ceramic Society regarding the construction of building for Library and Museum was made and executed thereafter. The cost of the building was estimated at about Rs, 60,000/-. The new constitution of the Society, as moved by Dr. Atma Ram was adopted in the General Meeting of 1959 which was further amended in the 45th Annual Session at Calcutta in a Special General Meeting on February 16, 198 I, moved by Dr. S. Kumar. The Transaction, official of the Society has been awarded International SI. No. (ISS No. 371-750X) commencing with the first issue of 1981. This is a great achievement of the Society. The Society celebrated its Silver Jubilee in the year 1953 and Golden Jubilee in the year 1978 both at Delhi. Golden Jubilee Celebration was inaugurated by Shri Morarji Desai, the then Prime Minister of India. An Academic Institute, 'The Indian Institute of Ceramic' was born in the year 1975. The members were all from Indian Ceramic Society. It was felt that there was a gap in supply of adequate ceramic personnel to cater to the needs of the ceramic industry and R&D establishments in the country. The Institute undertook the task of upgrading the knowledge of the diploma holders and science graduates by conducting Associate Membership Examination. Associate Membership Examination of the Institute has been recognised as Degree in Ceramic Technology by the Ministry .of Education and Culture, Government of India. So far 22 students have passed the above examination upto 1984.The Society arranged the 'Satya Sundar Deb Memorial Lecture' on the occasion of his Birth Centenary, who was the first President of the Society and a doyen of the Indian Ceramic Industry. The lecture was delivered by Dr. H. K. Mitra on 'Tinkering-to-grips with Problems Industrial' at the 46th Annual Session in 1982 at Morvi. Since 1941 after revival of the Society till to-day it is holding the Annual Session uninterrupted which has provided an opportunity to the galaxy of ceramic scientists, technologists and industrialists to share their experiences and mutual understanding and also to effect close co-operation between the industries and Research Institutes. The combined efforts of the industry, Indian Ceramic Society, Indian Institute of Ceramics and Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute have proved useful for the progress of the Ceramic Industry in the country. The Head Quarter of the Society was shifted to the CSIR-Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute(CGCRI), Calcutta-32, in 1958 and publication of 'Transactions' was also continued to be brought out from Calcutta from that time. It needs hardly to be emphasised that the unstinted support, both material and intellectual and encouragement rendered by the Directors, Scientists and. other members of the staff of CGCRI, have contributed in a great measure in shaping the destiny of the Society and what it is to-day. Indian Ceramic Society have different chapters e.g KOLKATA, BANGALORE, TAMILNADU, KERALA, VIZAG, HYDERABAD, JAMSHEDPUR, WESTERN UTTAR PRADESH, DELHI, BOMBAY, RAJASTHAN. Indian Ceramic Society celebrated its platinum jubilee session in Shilpgram, Agra organized by Western Uttar Pradesh Chapter followed with a International Conference on 19-22nd December.2011 in partnership with CGCRI and Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA). It was attended by the ceramic experts from USA, UK, Japan, Brazil, Turkey, Vietnam and Thailand. A record attendance of 450 participants was seen. It was a historic success with a great achievement of getting USD1000 contribution of American Ceramic Society first time.

Past Chairman
  • Late Dr. T. N. Sharma. Padamshree
  • Mr. Jaswant S. Minhas
  • Mr. Subhas C. Khanna


Past Secretary
  • Dr. K. N. Maiti
  • Mr. A. K. Gupta
  • Dr. C. S. Prasad


Past Joint Secretary
  • Mr. K. C. Singh
  • Late Mr. Narendra Yadav


Past Treasurer
  • Mr. K.C. Singh
  • Mr. Sanjay Gupta


Up-gradation
Indian Ceramic Society’s Khurja Chapter was converted to Western Uttar Pradesh Chapter in 2009. It covers Western Uttar Pradesh & Uttrakhand Area.

Publication
  • Directory of Khurja MSME’s in 2007
  • Directory of Khurja MSME’s in 2011

 

Clusters in Chapter
  • Khurja
  • Firozabad
  • Kanpur
  • Dehradun
  • Kashipur
  • Moradabad
  • Roorkee
  • Meerut
  • Ghaziabad
  • Noida
  • Greater Noida
  • Agra
  • Mathrua

Welcome Messages